Photo Gallery | Regular Exercise Such as Walking will keep You and Your Pet Out of the Pound!
The American Heart Association and Mayo Clinic urge people to get out walk with their pets. Use National Walking Day to kick off a heart healthy lifestyle by taking your four-legged friend for a walk. Obesity is not a health risk that humans struggle with alone; pets can face obesity related health concerns, including heart disease and stroke. According to the Centers for Disease and Control and Prevention roughly 33.7% of adults are obese in the U.S and 26% of Florida adults are obese. The fourth annual Association for Pet Obesity Prevention (APOP) National Pet Obesity Awareness Day Study found approximately 53% of cats and 55% of dogs were overweight or obese. Obesity puts humans and pets alike at a higher risk for cardiovascular disease and stroke related deaths and illnesses.
Try these ideas for participating in physical activity together:
- Go on a family picnic and bring your dog. Pack some healthy snacks like fruit, veggie sticks, mixed nuts, and plenty of water (including a bowl for your dog to drink!).
- Cool off when it is hot by taking a run through the sprinklers.
- Go to the open water. If you live near a beach or a lake find a location that is pet-friendly and bring them along for a day in the sun with your kids.
- Participate in local walks. The First Coast Heart Walk, on September 22, 2012 is pet and family friendly. You will be exercising, spending time together, and supporting a great cause.
- Visit a dog park. If your dog gets along well with other dogs, find a local dog park to visit for an afternoon. .
- Walk home from school. If your child walks home from school, bring the dog when you meet them at school and walk home together.
For more ideas on how to get moving in your community go to www.startwalkingnow.org
Connect with us on Facebook and post pictures of how you and your pets get Your Walk ON-with your Bark ON!
- Who: American Heart Association-First Coast Market and Mayo Clinic
- What: National Walking Day
- When: Wednesday, April 4, 2012
- Where: City-wide Initiative
www.heart.org (keyword searches- Pets and Obesity)